Breeding cockatiels can be easier than you think, but if you want to go into this, there are a few things you will need to consider, as well as some cockatiel breeding supplies that you will need to purchase.
Just remember before you decide to breed with your cockatiel, that you may loose him has a pet. Cockatiels only make good pets if they are not concentrating on breeding and growing up their families. He may lose interest in you once he starts to breed, which is only natural as his own family must come first.
The best age to breed cockatiels is anywhere from 15 to 24 months old. Cockatiels that are younger may not be good parents, or have problems like egg binding, which can be fatal. From 15 months they are emotionally and physically ready. You will, of course, need a good breeding pair and a pair that actually like each other.
If you want hand rear your cockatiel chicks, you can read more here.
Cockatiel Breeding Supplies
First of all, you will need to supply your breeding pair with a good nesting box.
This one ships from and is sold by Angels Aquatics & Pets.
- It is made of wood
- The size is 30 x 20 x 20 cm
- Hinged lid makes it easy to clean and peek inside
- Has a landing perch to make it easier for your cockatiels to access the box.
This is the cheapest one that I found online, so might not necessarily be the best one on the market.
Prevue Pet creates pet products for owners that have safety and health as their top priority. Prevue Pet ensures nothing but the best in quality material and design for your loved one. Don’t settle for anything less, use Prevue Pet.
- Quality and performance driven products for your pet
- Tested for safety and health
- Provide a better quality of living for your pet with Prevue Pet
This box is a better quality than the one above but is about $10 more expensive at around $27.00
Finch Parakeet Canary Cockatiel Breeder Utility Metal Bird Cage with Divider and Nest Door 30 By 18 By 18 Inch H
- Cage dimensions: 30 by 18 by 18 inch H
- 1/2 inch wire spacing, non-toxic safe Epoxy coated finish, Include four wooden perches, four feeder dishes, a removable middle grate divider and a pull out plastic tray
- Two Large lift up front doors and two nest box doors (one on each side panel)
- Suitable for small birds: finch, canary, parakeet and cockatiel etc.
This is a good option if you prefer a caged version of the nesting box, and comes with a price tag of $56.
- Powder-coated wire and Non-Toxic Epoxy finished
- Rectangular tubes constructed frame
- Six interior wooden perches, Two benches and ladders
- Strong wire locks on two front doors
- Four durable Rolling Casters with two Locks
This tall Rectangle Parrot Bird Cage gives your birds enough room to spread their wings. It comes with a large storage, the cart stand beneath the cage is great for bird toys, food, treat, and accessory storage. This super designed cage is also great for other small pets such as Sugar Gliders, Chinchillas and Rats, etc.
Other cockatiel breeding supplies which are necessary for the health of parents and chicks are things like good and nutritious quality food like the one below.
- High-quality protein provides readily available energy
- DHA Omega-3 is added for improved growth and development
- Great nutrition with well-balanced amino acids and fatty acids
- Egg-riched fortified food is recommended during breeding and moulting
Kaytee Forti-Diet Egg-Cite combines farm fresh egg crumbles with nutritious seeds and grains to create a wholesome daily diet to help your pet thrive. Egg-based foods are a perfect choice for maintaining the health of your bird. The egg crumbles in KAYTEE Forti-Diet Egg-Cite Egg-riched Fortified Food provide excellent nutrition.
- All natural nesting material.
- Refills one bird nester.
- Item is well paired with Heritage Farm Wooden Nester item.
- Will fill a standard suet Basket 3 or 4 times.
Overall Rating (based on customer reviews): 4.0 out of 5 stars
Now that you have all your cockatiel breeding supplies, you are well on your way to breeding cockatiels like a pro.